What's In This Kit?
This training kit introduces teachers to constructive play and how to integrate
it into outdoor play environments. It contains:
- Expected training outcomes
- Preparation instructions
- Training strategies and tips
- Implementation steps
- Follow-up activities for teachers
- Follow-up activities for administrators/directors
- A learning assessment
- A training evaluation/further needs assessment
- A resource list
- The article "Supporting Constructive Play in the Wild" by Francis
- A training certificate to award to teachers for attendance and participation
Who's the Target Audience?
The target audience for this kit is intermediate and advanced teachers working
with toddlers, preschoolers, and school-agers.
|Teacher Skill Level
|Children's Age Level
||birth to 8
Preparation time for this kit is 1 hour. Implementation time is estimated at
1.5 hours. beginning intermediate advanced infants toddlers preschoolers school-agers birth
- Teachers will learn how to make constructive play available to children.
- Teachers will learn the difference between motor play and constructive play.
- Teachers will learn which skills constructive play develops.
- Teachers will understand what materials need to be available to encourage
- Teachers will assess their outdoor environments to ascertain which components
of constructive play are available and which are missing.
- Teachers will explore ideas for bringing the classroom outdoors.
- Teachers will determine ways to respond to the challenge of loose parts
in the outdoor environment.
These training outcomes address the following:
- G-4, G-9 of the Accreditation Criteria and Procedures of the National Association
for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC, 1998)
- Standard 1 of NAEYC Standards for Early Childhood Professional Preparation,
Initial Licensure Level (NAEYC, 2001).
- Standards 1304.21(a)(4)(i), 1304.21(a)(5)(i), 1304.21(a)(5)(ii), of Head
Start Performance Standards(Federal Register: Nov. 5, 1996, Volume 61, Number
Note: Downloadable PDFs are only available for download in pdf format. Directions for downloading follow immediately after purchase.